Vinson Audio Blog

Vinson Day 5: Carry to High Camp

Today is our carry day to High Camp. Since we have lots of gear, fuel and food, it’s a big heavy load to transport from Low Camp to High Camp. The climb is over 1000 vertical meters (3,300 feet) and very steep that requires the use of fixed lines. We can’t use the sleds like […]

Vinson Audio Blog

Vinson Day 4: Weather Day at Low Camp

Due to high wind up on the mountain, we decided to stay at Low Camp for another day. Since we were up fairly late last night, we slept in a little bit this morning and waited for the sun to hit our tents and warm them up. After yet another leisurely breakfast of eggs and […]

Vinson Day 3: Rest Day at Low Camp

We slept in until noon today as the sun was behind the nearby peaks and later hidden by the clouds, making for very frigid temperature and a wind chill of -35°F/-37°C. We leisurely enjoyed our Sunday brunch with plenty of pancakes. Afterwards we got to work as the wind picked and had to fortify our tents. We cut out some […]

Vinson Day 2: Base Camp to Low Camp

Our time at Vinson Base Camp was very short lived. After a good night sleep, we leisurely got up around 10 AM and indulged in a good breakfast. Shortly afterwards, we gathered around for a refresher on glacier travel and crevasse rescue. Since there are many crevasses on the Branscomb Glacier, we have to be roped […]

Vinson Audio Blog

Vinson Day 1: Touchdown in Antarctica

The Ilyushin flight from Punta Arenas, Chile to Union Glacier Base Camp in Antarctica took exactly 4 hours and 40 minutes. We touched down on the blue ice runway (8 km/5 miles) long at 11:50 AM. It was very cold as the runway was in the shade. We carefully walked the icy runway and took a few […]

Vinson: We’re on our way!

We got the call from ALE at 4:15 AM this morning and we are a go. Weather is Antarctica is holding up for the moment. They told us to be ready for a 5:30 AM pickup to head to the airport and board the big Russian Ilyushin 76TD Cargo plane.

Vinson: Delayed in Punta Arenas

We got the call this morning at 6 AM from ALE and unfortunately it was not what we wanted to hear. We are not flying to Union Glacier Base Camp as the wind is blowing well over 35 knots and our departure is being delayed. We were told by ALE there’s a slight possibility that […]