Today was supposed to be a rest day at Camp 1 but since it was a decent day with relatively low wind around 35-40 MPH, we decided to make a big move up the mountain. The change of plan involved going up to Ameghino Col/Camp 2 where we cached our load yesterday, pick it up and continue on to Camp 3 known as Helicopter Camp at 5400m/18,000ft.
Since we’re feeling good and acclimatizing well to the altitude, we’re skipping Camp 2 altogether to put us in a better position to summit as soon as there’s a decent weather windows under these difficult windy conditions.
Along the way we crossed a moonlike terrain and then followed a ridge crossing a melting glacier that looked like a mini icefall.
After leaving Camp 1 at 8:38 AM, we arrived at the Camp 2 Col at 11:18 AM and rolled into Camp 3 around 12:45 PM. We pitched our tent, hydrated and relaxed until dinner time.
Not sure about tomorrow yet as the wind is supposed to pick up again. If the wind is high we’ll rest at Camp 3, otherwise we’ll carry a load to our High Camp 4 also known as Camp Colera.Next Post: Aconcagua Day 9: Carry to Camp 4 Previous Post: Aconcagua Day 7: Carry to Camp 2